The members of the Bereavement Committee furnish a light meal of sandwiches and dessert for grieving families who have lost a loved one. They work on a rotation basis and are always looking for more people to volunteer for this caring ministry. Contact the church office if you are interested in helping us provide this comfort and care to our neighbors, friends, and families.
Care and Share Bible Study Group provides an opportunity for weekly Bible study from September through May. The group does not meet Thanksgiving week or Holy Week and it also takes a short break for Christmas. The group is open to both women and men and meets for approximately one hour on Wednesday mornings here at St. John in the adult Sunday School classroom beginning at 9:30.
Brief History of the Group and Other Information About the Group
This group formed in the 1990’s when a small group of ladies who belonged to one of the circles
at St. John wanted to meet for Bible study more often than once a month. From a group of six to eight
weekly attendees the group now has over forty members.
- There are no requirements to join the group. Anyone interested should simply come to the adult Sunday School classroom in the Faith Center on Wednesdays shortly before 9:30 a.m. during the months of September through May. (NOTE: The class does not meet the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, the Wednesday before Easter, and the class also takes a break at Christmas.)
- Group members need to bring their Bibles and are asked to purchase any study guides or special materials that the group will be using.
- The leader guides the group through the lesson and attempts to engage members in meaningful sharing. Participation is voluntary. Those who wish to share may do so; those who simply want to listen may do that.
- A card ministry is one of the group’s projects. Group members share prayer concerns and usually ask for cards to be sent to those persons. These cards are signed by the group members in attendance that day. Birthday and Christmas cards are also sent to St. John members who are nursing home residents, shut-ins, elderly members who are still active or others who are not St. John members who are suggested by members of the group.
- Group members also assemble and clean the candles and holders used for Christmas Eve services and disassemble and store the candles after the Christmas Eve services.
- Group members prepare and deliver meals at least once each year for Meals on Wheels.
Twice a month St. John hosts worship services at our local nursing homes.
On the first Sunday of the month at 1 pm we have a service of prayers and music at Colonial Belle.
On the second Thursday of the month we host a worship service with Holy Communion at both Colonial Belle and Briarwood nursing homes. These service are led by our Pastor and Music Director but also involve volunteers who help bring residents to and from the service and assist with communion.
The Nursing Home “Choir” was originally called the Friday Fun Bunch. A group of singers from the Bellville area churches wanted to bring music to nursing home residents. The group decided to meet on Friday afternoons and sing hymns and other songs that the nursing home residents would recognize and enjoy. Both men and women sang with the original group. Currently, most of the singers are St. John members and the pianists who accompany this group are from other Bellville churches.
At the present time, the group meets at 3:00 p.m. on the first and third Friday of each month at Colonial Belle, and at 3:00 p.m. on the second and fourth Friday of each month at Briarwood Manor.
- Open to both men and women
- No special musical ability needed; just must love to sing and visit with nursing home residents
- You don’t need to sign up to join. Just come to Colonial Belle on the first and third Friday of each month shortly before 3:00 p.m. and to Briarwood Manor on the second and fourth Friday of each month shortly before 3:00 p.m. Meet in the living room at each of the nursing homes.
- Hymnals and/or other books from which the group will sing will be provided.
REFIT® is a life-changing group fitness experience that rocks your body, heart, and soul with powerful moves and positive music, to inspire you from the inside out.
For current class schedule/information, contact Tracye Lassus at 281 451 4884.